Monday, March 23, 2015

Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins


This recipe is adapted from one I found on the back of the Gluten Free Krusteaz Flour bag.  I haven't found any gluten free dessert/snack that I really like, mostly because I've probably not gotten used to it, yet.  However, these actually taste pretty good and are moist.  I figure if you've been used to eating gluten free foods such as this, you will like it.

I didn't use the recipe as originally listed because a friend had made them with organic coconut palm sugar and I had some, so wanted to do the same.  But then, I also didn't have any yogurt, which it called for, so I substituted sour cream.  I think sour cream is better, since it doesn't add sugar to the recipe like yogurt would.  The original recipe also called for lemon zest. I didn't have any, but was excited to use my Young Living Essential Lemon Oil in a recipe! It's made from freeze dried lemon rinds!
GF Blueberry Muffins
(This recipe is doubled from original Krusteaz recipe.  The original ingredients are list after my own.)

1 stick plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup organic coconut palm sugar (Original recipe: regular white sugar)
2 eggs
3 cups Krusteaz Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups sour cream (Original recipe: plain yogurt)
2 - 4 drops Young Living Essential Lemon Oil (Original recipe: 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest)
2 cups fresh blueberries
3 tablespoons raw sugar (for topping)
1 cup milk (Original recipe calls for no milk at all and says batter will be stiff.  It would be very stiff. I don't see how it would bake into muffins, actually!  If you use regular sugar, you may not need as much)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper liners.  In medium bowl, combine butter, sugar and egg.  Add GF flour, baking power, soda, sour cream and lemon oil. Stir until well blended. Gently fold in berries.  Fill muffin cups 2/3 full, sprinkle tips with raw sugar. Bake 20-26 minutes or until light brown.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover