Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Onion Strips

This is probably a recipe I never should have tried.....but I did. And my family is glad that I did!

We had eaten Onion Strips at a restaurant in Memphis, TN, called Huey's, so we were all kind of craving them. We were also having cheeseburgers, so it just kind of made sense that we would want these to go along with them.

Some "Pioneer Woman" recipes haven't worked out like I wanted them to, but maybe that's because I don't like following directions. I would rather do my own thing, so rarely follow them. I also get tired of all of the pictures, but some people probably like those to see how to do things.  Anyway, this one I did follow!  And it was great!


ONION STRIPS (She calls them "straws)

1 whole Large Onion
2 cups Buttermilk
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
1/4 teaspoon (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper (I used red pepper) 
1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
 Black Pepper To Taste

Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.
Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
Heat oil to 375 degrees.
Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
Repeat until onions are gone.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover